[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Mar 10 02:34:15 PDT 2009

Still not 100% correct.

The SERVER still supports indirect rendering.  Our libGL does NOT
support indirect rendering.  This means that you can ssh to your linux
box and run OpenGL applications there, and they will use indirect
rendering on the server.  This is hardware accelerated, but very slow
since you're bottlenecking the rendering with the network latency.

What you can't do is ssh to an OSX box and run OpenGL applications on
the remote OSX box on your local X server.  If you *REALLY* want to do
that, then you can compile your own libGL from mesa, and use that for
the indirect GLX capability, but I think this is really an edge case
of an edge use that I don't think will really affect many users.