[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Mar 10 12:31:22 PDT 2009

BTW, one more point I just want to clarify.  Are you certain that the
version of vmd-xplor on all machines is identical and that they are
all linking against the libGL in /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib?

You're good about that sort of thing, but I just wanted to be explicit
since it might be possible to link against a Mesa libGL if it was
built with MacPorts or Fink or some other package system.

Also, as for dropping down to software rendering goes, I added support
for two environment variables: LIBGL_ALWAYS_HARDWARE and
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE.  See http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/changeset/304

I'm thinking we should just eliminate LIBGL_ALWAYS_HARDWARE and
default to that, but I'm going to let it sit for a few moments to see
if George knows of a good reason why we might want to avoid that.

You can grab this new lib here: http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/libGL.1.2.dylib-r304.bz2

Decompress it and replace /usr/X11/lib/libGL.1.2.dylib with it.

Then on your 2008 MBP, try starting vmd-xplor with the
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE environment variable set.  Similarly, try
starting up on the older machines with LIBGL_ALWAYS_HARDWARE set

Let me know how it goes.
Jeremy