[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3_rc1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Mar 10 15:22:48 PDT 2009

Jeremy,
  Okay. I have figured out the Apple Software Render usage. When that
was used for the OpenGL render in vmd-xplor, I had not deleted or
renamed the copies of libGL and libGLU provided in vmd-xplor-1.5.1-Darwin_8/bin.MACOSX.
If I remove those local copies from the vmd-xplor installation, hardware
rendering is used under X11 2.3.3-rc1 on a dual G4 with Radeon 7500 graphics
and vmd-xplor behaves normally. However if I do the same on my MacBook Pro
with Radeon X1600 graphics, I get the following errors with vmd-xplor
-debug -nowin and with...

LIBGL_DIAGNOSTIC=1
export LIBGL_DIAGNOSTIC

added to the vmd-xplor startup script...

Info) VMD for MACOSX, version 1.8.5 (September 19, 2006)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd at ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info)    Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info)    Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
ERROR) filetype argument '-debug' needs a filename.
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "/tmp/launch-FIgrW9/:0".
initializing libGL in apple_init_glx
DIAG: CGL major 1 minor 2
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "/tmp/launch-FIgrW9/:0".
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x1106b5
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x17c7dab0 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x4ce360
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0xb5061100
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb0dac717 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0x60e34c00
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x4ce360
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0xb5061100
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb0dac717 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0x60e34c00
DIAG: apple_glx_create_context: ac 0xc4e080 ac->context_obj 0x100cc00
DIAG: apple_glx_drawable_create: new drawable 0x100f200
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  128 (Apple-DRI)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  40
+ '[' 0 -eq 0 ']'
+ '[' 0 -eq 0 -a SS = DP ']'
+ rm -rf /var/tmp/howarth-ve0

If I set LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE before running vmd-xplor, I still get a
failure...

Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd at ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info)    Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info)    Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
ERROR) filetype argument '-debug' needs a filename.
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "/tmp/launch-FIgrW9/:0".
initializing libGL in apple_init_glx
DIAG: CGL major 1 minor 2
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "/tmp/launch-FIgrW9/:0".
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x1106b5
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x17c7ed20 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x4ce360
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0xb5061100
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x20edc717 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0x60e34c00
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x1106b5
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0xb019fe04 value 0x4ce360
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0xb5061100
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x20edc717 value 0x0
WARNING: unknown GLX tag from server: tag 0x4fe19b0 value 0x60e34c00
libGL: Software rendering forced.
DIAG: apple_glx_create_context: ac 0xc4e080 ac->context_obj 0x100cc00
DIAG: apple_glx_drawable_create: new drawable 0x1007e00
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  128 (Apple-DRI)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  40

It is very strange that X11 2.3.3-rc1 with the test libGL.r304 works fine
on PPC but fails on Intel Darwin. I should note that vmd-xplor has had
problems on Intel Darwin for sometime now (hence the kludge of setting

               VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS=1
                LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

on that platform. Could you take a look at this to see if vmd-xplor
is tickling some latent bug with Rosetta and X11?
                Jack