[Xquartz-dev] Uninstaller for XQuartz

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Mar 15 23:38:45 PDT 2009

MacPorts doesn't conflict with the xquartz.macosforge.org version.
Additionally, the MacPorts version doesn't work with the launchd
DISPLAY (by design... I sent an email to the macports-users list a
couple weeks back if you want to change that).

As long as you don't enable the +system_x11 variant, MacPorts
shouldn't get confused.  If MacPorts *DOES* use it, then it's a bug.
Let me know, and I'll fix it in a timely manner.  None of the ports I
use link against /usr/X11 libs.

If you end up removing /usr/X11, then you risk problems with pre-built
downloads (like gimp.app or wireshark.app or ...).

The "uninstaller" is:
sudo pkgutil --unlink org.x.x11.pkg

but that may leave some font cache files, so this is a bit more
thurough:
sudo rm -rf /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /usr/X11* /System/Library/
Launch*/org.x.*

--Jeremy