[Xquartz-dev] A puzzling copy/paste issue

Andrew Farmer andfarm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:24:51 PST 2009

I've been having an unusual problem with copy/paste under XQuartz for
some time and haven't been able to figure it out. Perhaps someone here
can help?

Here's the issue -- when I select text in rxvt-unicode and hit Cmd-C,
the text that ends up on the clipboard is treated as UTF32 for some
reason. For instance, copying "xquartz" and running pbpaste|xxd gives
me this:

0000000: 7800 0000 7100 00                        x...q..

(Note that it's truncated to the length of the original string in bytes.)

Here's where it gets weird: my laptop, which, as far as I can tell, is
configured identically, is NOT affected. I've tried copying over the
preferences plists, the rxvt-unicode build, /opt/X11, XQuartz.app...
at this point, I'm not sure what's left that could be causing the
difference! Other applications aren't affected (xterm and xedit, for
instance). However, rxvt-unicode is only affected when copying data to
the Mac clipboard (i.e, copy and paste within X11 still works fine),
so I'm not sure whether this is an application issue, an XQuartz
issue, or both!

Also -- this only occurs when I launch rxvt-unicode with LANG set to
"en_us-UTF-8". Unsetting LANG also makes the problem go away, at the
expense of making UTF-8 not work either (which is kind of the whole
point!).

System details:

OS: Snow Leopard, fully updated
XQuartz: 2.4.1_alpha1, xorg-server 1.5.3-apple16
rxvt-unicode: 9.06, compiled with -arch x86_64