[Xquartz-dev] A puzzling copy/paste issue

Andrew Farmer andfarm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 20:59:41 PST 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 11:20, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2009, at 15:24, Andrew Farmer wrote:
>> Also -- this only occurs when I launch rxvt-unicode with LANG set to
>> "en_us-UTF-8". Unsetting LANG also makes the problem go away, at the
>> expense of making UTF-8 not work either (which is kind of the whole
>> point!).
>
> BTW, the correct value for LANG there is en_US.UTF-8

Holy crap, that's it. I had LANG set to "en_us.UTF-8" on one system
and "en_US.UTF-8" on the other... and, apparently, that's enough to
trigger an error at urxvt startup:

   urxvt: the locale is not supported by Xlib, working without locale
support.

and make copy/paste later fail in mysterious ways.

So there's that mystery solved! Thank you. (Although now the question
is *why* a bad value for that environment variable breaks copy/paste
so spectacularly.)