[Xquartz-dev] Building on Snow Leopard?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Sep 11 23:47:55 PDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:23, Pelle Johansson wrote:

>> IIRC: quartzEnableRootless is the variable that toggles the mode.
>> Are we rootless or are we fullscreen (the preference option).
>> quartzHasRoot is the variable that essentially corresponds to the
>> (for lack of better name) cmd-alt-a state.
>
> Right, thanks for reminding me. That means I had to change it
> because I switch to full screen mode programmatically even though
> quartzEnableRootless is true... I guess what I really need to do is
> check both variables.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  If quartzEnableRootless is true,
then you shouldn't be in fullscreen mode.  Rootless mode is the one
where your X11 and OSX environments are in harmony with one another
(in theory).

> I've been working on some Xrandr support, and since I presume that
> any resolution change is temporary in X11.app, I decided on doing a
> CGCaptureAllDisplays() and switching to rooted mode. It's not quite
> ready to show anyone else yet... primarily I need some better way of
> getting out of a stuck switch than force killing X11.app. (An xrandr
> -s auto will also work, but you have to get to it first.)

Ah... ok... yeah... this is one of the gotcha's with RANDR.  I'll send
you some files offline that I have of some randr related work that you
might want to look at.