[Xquartz-dev] X11 window appearance

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Sep 12 10:09:43 PDT 2009

> (1) What are these inner_x, inner_y, inner_w, inner_h parameters in
> particular?

Those are the parameters of the "inner" window.  That is, the
contents.  The "outer" window is what contains the inner window as
well as all the decoration.

> (2) Not knowing any better I chose 'AppleWMFrameClassBorderless' as
> this seemed  most appropriate to denote the CoreGraphics not to put
> any of the usual Aqua title-bars, drag-knobs, its own border, etc
> around the final result.  In fact, what does this 'class' parameter
> like 'AppleWMFrameClassDocument' denote, regarding the shadow
> drawing, if it affects anything at all?

I think it should have no shadow.  That's used for menus, tooltips,
splash screens, etc.

> (3) The second, the 'attribute' parameter seems clear:  it looks
> like only 'AppleWMFrameActive' and '0' make sense here... ?

Yeah, that doesn't matter if there's no frame.

> (4) Most important unresolved issue is termination: how to withdraw
> the shadows by means of Apple-WM extension?  In particular, if
> quartz-wm is started manually, and terminated by Ctrl-C, then it
> withdraws all shadows.  How does it do that?   :-)

it unmaps the window and reparents it to the root window.

> In fact I would put this code to be executed on 'UnmapNotify' events.

Yeah.

I didn't look at the code, but if you still need help, I'll be able to
look at it on Monday.