[Xquartz-dev] 2.5.1_beta1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Thu Apr 8 06:31:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:16:38AM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 04:39:42PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> > Yes, with less than one week since the 2.5.0 release, I am already starting the development towards our next release.
> >
> > 2.5.1_beta1 pulls in new versions of modules that I judged too "risky" for the 2.5.0 release as that version wrapped up development.  The DDX is nearly identical to the version shipped in 2.5.0, but we've updated the rest of the server code to the 1.8 branch.  Additionally, I've pulled in a newer version of mesa (7.8) and rebased the HW-accelerated libGL against that new version.  libpng-1.4.1 is included and default.  cairo-1.8.10 is included and using the new libpng.
> >
> > Also, quartz-wm has the fix for bug #370
> >
> > To get the fix through auto-update, you need to be on the beta feed:
> > defaults write org.macosforge.xquartz.X11 SUFeedURL http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/sparkle/beta.xml
> >
> > Or you can download it here:
> > http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/SL/XQuartz-2.5.1_beta1.dmg

> Jeremy,
>    Interestingly, while Xquartz-2.5.1beta1 doesn't eliminate the delays
> we see in starting pymol (where the Pymol tk window on top lags 30 secs
> or so), I found last night that the current xorg and mesa packages in
> MacPorts does. I am guessing that the issue was fixed with the new
> mesa+hw 7.8.1. Any idea what was changed in that which would have eliminated
> these lags in pymol? I have been assuming that the lag was due to some
> OpenGL initialization issues so this does make sense.
>             Jack
> ps Were you actively looking at these pymol issues or is this a lucky fix?

Jeremy,
   Could you roll a Xquartz-2.5.1_beta2 release which is synchronized to the
current xorg/mesa packages in MacPorts? I could use that with the standalone
evaluation copy of x11-pymol-0.99 under 10.6 to verify that the issue was
fixed by those changes. I see this lag with the current X11 in darwin9 and
darwin10 with all the recent X11 and Xquartz releases up to the most recent
MacPort's updates (which including mesa+hw 7.8.1). The lag occurs in all
X11 pymol builds (evaluation, MacPorts and fink).
        Thanks in advance.
                        Jack