[Xquartz-dev] 2.5.1_beta2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Apr 23 11:20:59 PDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 08:02, robert delius royar wrote:

> I reinstalled beta2 to get a listing of the errors.  On my installation, the directory that holds the display is not prepended to the display's name.  That appears to explain all of the errors I was seeing.
>
> In an xterm 'echo $DISPLAY' returns org.macosforge.xquartz.X11:0.0

That is wrong.  It should be something like:

/tmp/launch-31i9qn/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

> When I reinstall beta1, 'echo $DISPLAY' shows
> /tmp/launch-uO58xc/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

That is the correct $DISPLAY

> The odd thing (to me) is that xterms work fine, and surely it needs to know the correct DISPLAY.  Also, another poster mentioned that on his system, his display includes the directory.  I have checked my startup files (.tcshrc and xstartup); neither sets the display.  This is a new MBP, so there shouldn't be other things interfering, plus beta1 (and the last update release) both work.

Can you try creating a new user account:

Install 2.5.1_beta2.
Create a new user in User Preferences
Log out as the current user and log in as the other (or use FUS)
Launch XQuartz.app