[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0_alpha2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Aug 23 11:11:56 PDT 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 00:08, Pelle Johansson wrote:

> I've had some inconsistencies with RandR in this version. Usually after a game switches to fullscreen (same as xrandr -s 1) when I press cmd-opt-a the windows will be visible on the rootless window, but once in a while they will not be. In the former case I can not press cmd-opt-a again to return to fullscreen, but in the latter case I can.

If you cmd-opt-a out of a "real" RandR mode, you will return to your default mode (rootless or legacy fullscreen).  If legacy fullscreen is your default mode, you will be presented with the OS X Desktop.

If you cmd-opt-a out of the legacy fullscreen mode, you will just be presented with the OS X Desktop.

It sounds like in one case your game is choosing the legacy mode and in others it is choosing a real mode... I better adjectives.

If you run 'xrandr', you will notice two modes with refresh rates of '1' and '2'.  These correspond to the legacy non-RandR modes.

> In alpha1 the windows were always hidden when pressing cmd-opt-a and you had to press it again to show them. I assume that's how it's supposed to be all the time. I haven't had time to work out the details exactly yet, therefore no ticket for now.

In alpha1, cmd-opt-a behavior wasn't really considered for the RandR modes.

The reason for this behavior is to let someone "escape" from a RandR mode set by a crashed application.