[Xquartz-dev] Mouse/focus problem in 2.6.0 beta2

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Fri Dec 3 08:16:34 PST 2010

I've been running beta2 for the last couple of weeks, and have now
several times run into a weird lockup condition that I have not seen
in 2.5.3 or earlier releases.  The system gets into a state where it
doesn't seem to want to deliver mouse/pointer events to any X11
applications --- the most response I get to a click is a quick double
beep, and sometimes not even that.  Keyboard events are still delivered
fine.  Switching input focus to another window is a bit tricky, because
you can't do it via pointer, but command-digit works.  AFAICT the only
way to get out of the problem is to quit and restart X11.

Unfortunately I cannot give a reproducible way to cause the problem.
I think it has generally happened when I am returning focus to X11
from another Mac application, usually Safari --- I have a Safari
window in front of several X11 windows, click the yellow button to
minimize Safari, click on some X11 window to start working there,
and suddenly things are all pear-shaped.  But it doesn't happen
every time or even often, so there's probably some additional trigger
condition required.  Or maybe there's some sort of timing-dependent race
condition?  It only seems to happen when I do this fast without
thinking, so I'm not 100% positive I didn't mis-click somewhere I didn't
intend to, but in any case a lockup isn't expected.

Anybody else seeing this?

			regards, tom lane