[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Dec 25 02:09:58 PST 2010

Am 24.12.2010 um 23:49 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> Ok, but that has nothing to do with what you set $DISPLAY to and
> your disabling launchd support (which was my question)

I think I started to set DISPLAY because Terminal's shell has no
knowledge of it. So I can't launch an X client off it. In the
beginning I used

	if (! $?DISPLAY) then ...

as usual. With Tiger some change came so that DISPLAY was then set
initially via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist and in ~/.xinitrc defaults
was writing the actual value into the environment for new processes.
This stopped working at some time. Of course when I want to launch an
X client I don't want to switch to Finder, make it open a new window I
would have to close later, then find my way through the file system
hierarchy to the directory with the X clients and then search among
them some time for the one I want to launch. And I also don't want to
search in the Finder window for my favourite X clients place and
neither do I want to switch to X11, open its Programmes menu and then
hopefully find after some time in a large list what I want to launch.
Why is the DISPLAY variable not communicated among all processes
running at the moment and launched afterwards, after DISPLAY's first
setting or its possible change? Is it too complicated to make it work?

Is typing the X client's name (plus "&") my too simplistic approach?
Do I have to behave in overcomplicated ways because the world outside
is said to have become complicated? (I think ice age was more
complicated: not knowing the store and its location with the mammoth
steaks and veggie burgers and not even having GPS based navigation to
that store.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law