[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 25 12:19:56 PST 2010

On Dec 25, 2010, at 02:09, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.12.2010 um 23:49 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
>> Ok, but that has nothing to do with what you set $DISPLAY to and your disabling launchd support (which was my question)
>

> I think I started to set DISPLAY because Terminal's shell has no knowledge of it. So I can't launch an X client off it. In the beginning I used
>
> 	if (! $?DISPLAY) then ...
>
> as usual. With Tiger some change came so that DISPLAY was then set initially via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

I do not believe Apple has ever released software that has set DISPLAY in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.  On Tiger, DISPLAY is simply not set except in child processes of X11.app (hence why we solved that by using launchd in Leopard).

> and in ~/.xinitrc defaults was writing the actual value into the environment for new processes.

Maybe you did that (or maybe XDarwin), but I know that is not how Tiger's X11.app works.

> This stopped working at some time. Of course when I want to launch an X client I don't want to switch to Finder, make it open a new window I would have to close later,

You don't have to... why do you think you would?

> then find my way through the file system hierarchy to the directory with the X clients and then search among them some time for the one I want to launch.

I have no idea how you got here in your thought process.

> And I also don't want to search in the Finder window for my favourite X clients place

I hardly ever use Finder.  How did Finder come up?

> and neither do I want to switch to X11, open its Programmes menu and then hopefully find after some time in a large list what I want to launch.

You don't have to.  I don't really use the Applications menu except for a hotkey to start rxvt.

> Why is the DISPLAY variable not communicated among all processes running at the moment and launched afterwards, after DISPLAY's first setting or its possible change?

It is by default.  You are overwriting it in .login.

> Is it too complicated to make it work?

It works for everyone else.

> Is typing the X client's name (plus "&") my too simplistic approach?

That's how it works out of the box.

> Do I have to behave in overcomplicated ways because the world outside is said to have become complicated?

I think your way is the overly complicated way.

> (I think ice age was more complicated: not knowing the store and its location with the mammoth steaks and veggie burgers and not even having GPS based navigation to that store.)

Try this:

Create a new user account.
Login to the new user
Launch Terminal.app
>From Terminal, run 'xterm &'

If you want a different WM, do:

mkdir ~/.xinitrc.d
echo "exec /path/to/blackboxwm" > ~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
chmod 755 ~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh