[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Dec 26 17:17:24 PST 2010

On Dec 26, 2010, at 08:53, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.12.2010 um 21:22 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
>> You can have X11.app launch at login and have the clients start by creating ~/.xinitrc.d/90-my-apps.sh (like the 99-wm.sh I suggested in the previous email).
>
> Why are there still two different ways to launch X11?

Why not?  Launch on demand, and explicitly launched.

> Why isn't my inappropriate double-clicking on the X11 icon in Dock not automatically translated into a launchd action?

It is, so long as the DISPLAY set matches its bundle ID.  Check /var/log/system.log when you launch it.  I'll bet you see a message to the effect of "DISPLAY does not match id, unsetting DISPLAY" which then causes the launched X11 to behave as if launchd doesn't exist (since the launchd DISPLAY is owned by a different server).

> I mean, there is Automator! And there is also the Internet technique on an invisible pixel to have access to the user of a web page. This could have been extended into launching an invisible, temporary, and very simplistic X client that X11 gets launched via launchd? And why wasn't Dock removed when it bypasses launchd?

What does Dock have to do with anything?