[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Dec 27 02:30:53 PST 2010

Am 27.12.2010 um 02:13 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> Ok, so that was your solution on Tiger.  Our solution was to use a
> LaunchAgent on Leopard (which also works in a multi-user
> environment).  I suggest you ditch your hack and try using the
> LaunchAgent which does what you want out of the box.

Since it stopped working it has been already removed...

>>> I have no idea how you got here in your thought process.
>>
>> How would I else be able to double-click on the X client I wish to
>> launch?
>
> If you really want to create app bundles to double click to launch
> X11 applications, we can go into how to do that, but that's not
> really the supported method.  The supported method for launching X11
> applications is from X11.app's Application menu or from a terminal.

This means it's not correct to use a shell script in ~/.xinitrc.d? Is
it this file which you described as being unsupported in my way of
handling X11?

>> I made some tests. I made sure that no *sh RC file sets DISPLAY. I
>> also removed DISPLAY from the environment of Terminal. With ps I
>> could see that some processes had set DISPLAY=:0, but most had
>> DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-OtsB9G/org.x:0. This value is also set in a new
>> Terminal window.
>
> Right.
>
>> When I launch for example FontForge from the first Terminal window
>> (no DISPLAY set)
>
> Why is DISPLAY not set?  I thought you said it was set to DISPLAY=/
> tmp/launch-OtsB9G/org.x:0 ... ?

It's still 2010 here and I had no need to log out and log in again. So
I removed from the first running Terminal the DISPLAY variable with
unsetenv (it's in tcsh). Therefore it's now empty.

FontForge, from Fink, comes as an application bundle.

> Starting with quarz-wm (blackbox keeps crashing with xorg-server
> 1.9.2.901, 1.9.3, and some more) DISPLAY has become :0. This is also
> reported by env in GNU Emacs *shell* buffer.
>
>> blackbox will exit with a failure because it notices you already
>> have a WM (quartz-wm).  If you want to use blackbox instead, see
>> the portion of my email that you deleted when forming your reply:
>>
>> """
>> If you want a different WM, do:
>>
>> mkdir ~/.xinitrc.d
>> echo "exec /path/to/blackboxwm" > ~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
>> chmod 755 ~/.xinitrc.d/99-wm.sh
>> """

My executable ~/.xinitrc.d/99-blackbox.sh script has:

	echo "99-Blackbox WM"
	[[ -x /opt/local/bin/blackbox ]] && exec /opt/local/bin/blackbox
	[[ -x /sw/bin/blackbox ]] && exec /sw/bin/blackbox

Blackbox *is* launched because quartz-wm is not launched (no X client
appears on screen, possibly after the crash, crash reports from
blackbox exist). After some time blackbox crashes. Is the Bash syntax
inappropriate for me tcsh user?

>> How can I launch X clients without launchd?
>
> That's in the FAQ, but I don't think that is what you actually
> want.  It sounds like what you want is to use blackbox which is
> orthogonal to launchd. Keep launchd around, setup xinitrc.d to use
> blackbox, and launch your applications from Terminal.app, or just
> launch X11.app directly.

This sounds like I've never bypassed launchd... (at least not in
Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5.8)

>> If a second server is launching, you should investigate why the
>> first one is not claiming the launchd socket.  How are you
>> launching the first X11 server?

By double-clicking on the icon of /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app in
Dock. I interpret the situation with the second X server that the
DISPLAY setting from login time comes from the wrong X server or is
set for the wrong X server. Launchctl lists:

	-	0	org.x.startx
	74689	-	[0x0-0x11b11b].org.macports.X11

which looks OK to me.

--