[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Dec 27 16:04:31 PST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 13:13, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> This means it's not correct to use a shell script in ~/.xinitrc.d?
>>
>> Why would you come to that conclusion?
>
> Because the execution of a shell script in ~/.xinitrc.d is neither "from X11.app's Application menu" nor "from a terminal". I presume it's xinit.

Right.  That's an init script.  That is only used once X11 starts.  It is not used to start X11.

>>> By double-clicking on the icon of /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app in Dock. I interpret the situation with the second X server that the DISPLAY setting from login time comes from the wrong X server or is set for the wrong X server. Launchctl lists:
>>>
>>> 	-	0	org.x.startx
>>> 	74689	-	[0x0-0x11b11b].org.macports.X11
>>
>> Ok, so you have two versions of the server: one from MacPorts, and one from Apple.  The one in your Dock that you are manually is not the one used by launchd.  Based on earlier information from you, it seems you put MacPorts' X11.app in the dock and are using Apple's for launchd.
>

> Is then org.x.startx the launchd item for XQuartz 2.5.3 (xorg-server 1.8.2) that I should unload to have Macports' X11 the exclusive X server?

It looks as though org.macports.startx is not loaded.  org.macports.startx should take precedence over org.x.startx.  You should have /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist from MacPorts' xinit port.