[Xquartz-dev] Fully self contained Xquartz.app?

doh123 doh123 at doh123.com
Tue Jul 13 10:03:42 PDT 2010

I'm having issues making some modifications to Xquartz, I was wondering if I might get some pointers to... one of which I think could benefit as a change to how Xquartz.app works...  I'm not that up on Xquartz source code and not an extremely experienced programmer, its just kind of a hobby thing.

I've been working on a way to make a fully self contained Xquartz.app and not have a /opt or whatever install location.  This is actually easy to do with the current code as long as I want the Xquartz.app to always be in the same exact place... but when I want it to be movable, and the .app to be launchable from any location on the system, it runs into problems.  I'm pretty sure the only problem I have left is the fact that xkb wants a hard coded location (dylibs are easy to move around and find)... so any tips or ideas what I can do in the source to make that location movable would be greatly appreciated.  I think this would actually be beneficial to Xquartz, making it more like a real Mac app.

I'd also like to know how to switch Xquartz from fullscreen to rootless and back.. without having to click the preference checkmark option, use key combinations or restart the server.  A way I could tell it from the command line or whatever so that it can be a scripted change... if thats not currently possible, where should I look in the code to change that around?  This is at least until RANDR works...

These changes are to fix issues I have with how I use Xquartz built into Wineskin (http://wineskin.doh123.com/), but I really think making a fully self contained app would benefit Xquartz.

thanks!

-doh123