[Xquartz-dev] Fully self contained Xquartz.app?

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Tue Jul 13 16:51:06 PDT 2010

Take a look at Crossover, a commercial MacOS app that runs Windows XP
apps along side MacOS apps. Crossover is based on X11's Wine and
"bottles", it uses its own server and quartz-wm. You really, really
want these to be self-contained because there are be situations when
one would want to run Crossover and X11 at the same time. For example
that would let me have Windows XP, X11 and MacOS apps open
simultaneously side by side. Developers have a range of options how to
do implement X11 in a user-space app, seems there should be some kind
of standard. Maybe I am missing something.