[Xquartz-dev] problem with X11 lockfiles in /tmp

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Wed Jul 14 09:47:44 PDT 2010

When I run X11, it creates lockfiles
   /tmp/.X0-lock and /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

If I quit X11 normally and run it again, it creates lockfiles:
   /tmp/.X1-lock and /tmp/.X11-unix/X1

Pretty soon my /tmp directory looks like:
  /tmp/.X0-lock
  /tmp/.X1-lock
  /tmp/.X2-lock
  /tmp/.X3-lock
and
  /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
  /tmp/.X11-unix/X1
  /tmp/.X11-unix/X2
  /tmp/.X11-unix/X3

It happens no matter how I launch or quit X11. Launchd is enabled, I
can start X11 by running an X11 app like xterm, clicking on X11.app
directly, or typing startx in a terminal. I can quit X11 from X11's
menu, or from the exit menu in my window manager. Same results in all
cases.

I haven't seen this before, and it's causing my window manager to lose
my config because it thinks I am in a different X11 session or
something.

I think the problem has existed for at least 2 dev releases but I only
now saw what is happening in the /tmp directory.

Why is this happening?