[Xquartz-dev] XRandR update

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 19 11:33:01 PDT 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> 2) resized windows in other applications
> If we have a maximized Mail.app running and we shrink our X11 using RandR, the height of Mail.app will be shrunk when we restore our default display setting using RandR.  I seem to recall an API to deal with this... something about "Game Mode" or "Grab/Lock/Own Display" or something along those lines.

"Capture" is the word you were looking for.  One should capture the display.  However, when one does that, the frameworks put up a black shielding window and you have to hoist your own windows above it for them to be seen.  We discussed some of this in private email.  You mentioned that you have machinery for changing the window levels of all of your windows, but I don't recall if that was to hoist them above the shielding window or just above the menu bar and dock (or for some other purpose).

Cheers,
Ken