[Xquartz-dev] XRandR update

Jan Hauffa hauffa at in.tum.de
Tue Jul 20 04:42:38 PDT 2010

Jeremy Huddleston schrieb:
> 1) multi-monitor configs
> Right now, for multi monitor configurations, we just list the first two resolution options for the entire union display.  The ideal fix would be to update pseudoramiX to report multiple OS X displays as multiple X11 displays and have RandR controls for each display.  If I recall, the former is a larger problem than it seems at the onset, but the last time I looked was well over 2 years ago.
>
> For now, I think a good alternative would be having the display modes of the primary monitor listed.  We could then use only the primary monitor in those modes and ignore the secondary display.
>
> 2) resized windows in other applications
> If we have a maximized Mail.app running and we shrink our X11 using RandR, the height of Mail.app will be shrunk when we restore our default display setting using RandR.  I seem to recall an API to deal with this... something about "Game Mode" or "Grab/Lock/Own Display" or something along those lines.
>
> 3) cmd-alt-a
> The escape sequence to toggle fullscreen is usable when in one of our RandR chosen modes, but what it does is just toggle fullscreen.  In other words, doing it will show the OS X Desktop.  We should probably force mode '0' when doing that.  This is very important for dealing with situations where the requesting application has crashed and the user needs to restore to something usable.
>
> Let me know if you want to work on any of these issues.  I'll tackle the others.

I'll look into those issues over the weekend, and tell you which ones I
think I can handle. After reading Ken's mail, number 2 appears to be a
tough nut to crack, so I'll probably start with the multi-monitor setup.
If each X11 screen is associated with exactly one CG display, I can get
rid of the special cases in the RandR code, so I'm tempted to go that way.

Regards,
   Jan