[Xquartz-dev] RandR thoughts

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Jul 23 20:57:57 PDT 2010

I've been thinking about RandR a bit more and specifically how to handle the existing rootless/fullscreen paradigm, and I think it will allow for an interesting and cleanup of this code.  Right now, you select either "rootless" or "fullscreen" mode within X11's preferences.  I think we should change this around a bit and make these two configurations RandR modes.  We would have 2 special RandR modes (which conveniently are already in place):

0 - Rootless: screens at their OS X resolution minus the menu bar
1 - "Full Screen": screens at their OS X resolution including the menu bar
2 - "Game Mode #1": native resolution of the screen
3+ - "Game Mode #2+: Additional resolutions supported by the screens

The current fullscreen / rootless choice in X11's preferences will correspond to the default / startup mode for X11.  If a client switches to mode 0 or 1, all screens will switch to that mode.  If a user switches to mode 2+, all other screens with switch to mode 2.

cmd-alt-a while in a "Game Mode" will have the effect of switching from the "Game Mode" to the default mode.  If the default mode is 1 (Full Screen), it will switch to that mode and X11 will also be hidden.

I'm going to implement what of this I can while it's fresh in my head.