[Xquartz-dev] Bugfixes for 2.5.1 rc1 Xorg 1.8.1 (Re:Bugfixes for 2.5.0_rc1)

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon Jun 7 02:46:59 PDT 2010

Am 06/05/2010 04:00 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> schrieb:
>> Unfortunately I still don't catch the idea why Xquartz has to fiddle
>> with the keyboard from the moment on while executing .xinitrc,  the
>> above suggestion really is no solution to the "not yet identified"
>> problem.  :-)
>

> What behavior are you suggesting is "not yet identified" ?  The keyboard layout can be changed through OSX international settings, and X11 will update the keyboard layout when it detects that.

The problem of Xquartz ignoring or destroying xmodmap settings
called in .xinitrc while executing this file on server startup.

> You can toggle the alt key mode (mode_switch versus alt) in X11's preferences in the latest 2.5.1 rc (I forget which beta got that change, but I think it was beta2).

The "About X11" says  "XQuartz 2.5.1_rc1 (xorg-server 1.8.1)"  and I
have to admit I don't find this setting in "Preferences" (under
Cmd-,) here under Leopard 10-5-8.  Probably I am looking in the
wrong place?

>> Accidentally the NFS-server is the X-client as well.
>>
>> I have to report, since upgrading to 2.5.1-rc1 really in 2-3 times I
>> have managed to confirm your "...This works for me..." (i.e. it
>> worked for me too!);  but in contrast I count probably some
>> 2000-3000 times it hasn't worked here.
>

> Well then this was probably not working for you when you had the old libXau, so it's fixed now ;)

Apparently libXau-1.0.5 on the NFS-server of $HOME-directories
(resp. X11-client) still shows this bug (assuming libXau is the
location of the bug).

I observe files of the far future

    -rw-------  1 eeri  users  1283 Jun  7 11:16 .Xauthority
    -rw-------  2 eeri  users     0 Jul  9  2037 .Xauthority-c
    -rw-------  2 eeri  users     0 Jul  9  2037 .Xauthority-l

created there.  (May I suggest to let it rest for now, for me
personally it is definitely not as critical as the xmodmap problem
above.)

>> Now again, having observed 2.5.1 rc1 it looks like it is the
>> AppleWM-XPlugin issue, and occurs on XShape'd clients.
>> I.e. if running on a blank server without quartz-wm, or more
>> precise, without AppleWM-shadows by XAppleWMFrameDraw(), all seems
>> well, i.e. nothing unusual.
>>
>> For the sake of simplicity I'll attach a small demo program to this
>> posting which shows a rectangular semitransparent frame inside the
>> test window if running under quartz-wm and this client is not
>> focused.  If this test client *is* focused, the surrounding shadow
>> is gone (btw. why?) and the transparent inner frame is gone too.
>>
>> Further, under quartz-wm, if this test client is focused, the upper
>> corners appear rounded, if not focused, rectangular.  (Looking
>> closely it looks like here *all* X-clients shaped or not show these
>> rectangular/rounded upper edges artefacts.)  Can you confirm this?
>

> Weird.  Can you please file a bug report at http://xquartz.macosforge.org or http://bugreport.apple.com (please attach your sample code)?

Is it correct you could not confirm these artefacts?

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask