[Xquartz-dev] Basic implementation of XRandR

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Jun 14 10:57:16 PDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 00:44, Per Johansson wrote:

> That's exactly what I did in my incomplete version. Make sure to make the desktop resolution the first one listed, as that will be the default one switch to.
>
> You probably have to make sure that cmd-option-a will always take you out off fullscreen as well. Otherwise a crashing game might end you up with a black screen and no options except cmd-option-escape to get out, which will force quit X11 (and I think a lot of people do not know about that combination). In the best case some information about this would be displayed on the root window as well, though that'd be up to quartz-wm I guess.

Yeah.  Another option I thought of would be to allow a defaults option to toggle between "game mode" and "desktop mode" for RandR.  Some people might want to use xrandr and utilities to actually

> Both OS X and Windows handles this differently. In them, if the application that switches resolution exits, it is automatically switched back to the default one. Perhaps something to suggest to the other X11 developers?

Unfortunately, the "application" in this case would be the XQuartz.app server, not the X11 client that crashes.

As for X11 "at large", that approach is not very feasible.  In fact, think about the 'xrandr' command line utility.  It can be used to change the desktop resolution, then immediately exists.