[Xquartz-dev] System X11 binaries in path ahead of XQuartz

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:42:23 PDT 2010

Hi

Just installed the 2.5.0rc1 on SL and found a minor annoyance. The
binaries from the system X11 are in the path ahead of the XQuartz
binaries:

$ which xterm
/usr/X11/bin/xterm
$ echo $PATH
/Users/ram/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/X11/bin
$

The DISPLAY variable is correctly set:

$ echo $DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-3ESeJo/org.macosforge.xquartz:0
$

I imagine that this is due to path_helper reading the files in
/etc/paths.d in alphabetical order, as renaming /etc/paths.d/XQuartz
to 00XQuartz, for example, results in the XQuartz binaries ahead of
the system X11 binaries in the path.

I can do this manually but I wonder if this should be done in the
installer, otherwise the system X11 binaries are going to be used?

Cheers

Adam