[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Wed Mar 17 13:40:45 PDT 2010

Brandon Allbery <allbery at kf8nh.com> writes:
> I have my HDTV hooked up for occasional use as a second monitor,
> positioned to the left of my iMac's internal screen (iMac is the
> master screen with the menubar and dock).  As it turned out, the mini-
> DVI connector had worked its way loose, so when I started the new X11
> it knew only about the internal display.  When I fixed the connector,
> all my X11 windows moved to the HDTV, then X11 froze.  I was able to
> move the windows back but not to do anything else with them.
> Interestingly, quitting X11 worked, so it wasn't completely frozen
> even though things like motion events clearly weren't being responded
> to (admittedly I couldn't say if they weren't being delivered or if
> the resulting window updates weren't happening; I need to get xscope
> and/or xmon going here).

That last bit seems quite like a freeze that I've seen occasionally in
recent Xquartz beta versions.  The couple of times that I saw it were
not during monitor add/remove events, but being able to do menu actions
matches up.  If you can reproduce it (so far I cannot), try the
workaround of hiding and re-exposing X11 to see if it comes back to
life.

			regards, tom lane