[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Thu Mar 18 06:54:28 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:59:06PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> We've come a long way since 2.4.0 was released, and the end of the road is in sight for 2.5.0.  2.5.0_rc1 looks quite solid, and I'd like to get more people using it.  This is the first pre-release of 2.5.0 that has been built for both Leopard and SnowLeopard.  The Leopard version still installs to /usr/X11 and X11.app while the SL version installs to /opt/X11 and XQuartz.app to avoid the Software Update collisions that were so common in the Leopard days.
>
> With this release, I've created a separate Software Update feed that will contain beta versions (as well as final release versions).  To switch to this feed rather than the final-release feed, please execute the following:
>
> SnowLeopard:
> defaults write org.macosforge.xquartz.X11 SUFeedURL http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/sparkle/beta.xml
>
> Leopard:
> defaults write org.x.X11 SUFeedURL http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/sparkle/beta.xml
>
> Assuming you have 2.4.0 on Leopard or one of the earlier 2.5.0 betas for SL, you should see an auto-update notification the next time you start X11 after running the above command.  If you don't want to use the SU, you can just download the installer from these links:
>
> SnowLeopard:
> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/SL/XQuartz-2.5.0_rc1.dmg
>
> Leopard:
> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/Leopard/X11-2.5.0_rc1.dmg
>
> The full ChangeLog from 2.4.0 can be seen in the draft release notes:
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.5.0
>
> Please hammer this release.  I feel confident that it is release quality, but I want to get a wider audience first.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Jeremy,
    I installed the X11-2.5.0-rc1 release from the Leopard dmg on
a QuickSilver G4 and have noticed one oddity. Without rebooting yet,
whenever I select the "About X11" dialog from the X11 application,
which is launched when starting x windows programs, it reports...

Xquartz 2.4.0 (xorg-server 1.5.3-apple14)

Is this just a typo in the strings of this for this release?
Other than this issue, pymol seems to run fine under this release
without any regressions in its demos on a Radeon 9600 graphics
card.
                  Jack