[Xquartz-dev] Bugfixes for 2.5.0_rc1

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Mar 19 03:00:14 PDT 2010

Am 03/19/2010 09:38 AM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> schrieb:
> So the main issues I've seen reported from 2.5.0_rc1 are:
>
> $PATH should be reordered
>   - Fixed locally
>
> Display config changes result in clipped pointer events (can't move window some places)
>   - I know a fix, checking upstream to see if it's the best fix
>
> Xephyr and Xnest have bad keymaps
>   - Fixed locally ... you can use these binaries:
>     http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/testing/Xnest
>     http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/testing/Xephyr
>
> System fontconfig segfaults after updating to XQuartz
>   - The only thing this can be is a conflict in the caches.  I can't really "fix" this
>     in an XQuartz update since it's the system fontconfig crashing
>
> System X11.app starts as "default" X11.
>   - You need to log out for that.  I don't want to force logout in the installer.
>
> After logging out and back in, system X11.app won't run
>   - This is an issue with the system X11 and the fix must come from Apple.
>
> If I missed an issue, please report it (preferably with a bug report
> at http://xquartz.macosforge.org). As it is now, I think I have
> mostly eliminated the reported issues.  Thanks for testing.

Here come few too:

(1) Each time I log in (and launch X11) I am asked (sorry for sloppy
English translation) something about ... "Do I want to allow remote
applications to access X11, an option which can be tuned in firewall
options too" ... or something.  So each day in the office begins
with a click on "yes, I do".  How to automate this buttonclick?

(2) xmodmap, which in previous X11-versions configured some keys out
of .xinitrc now doesn't do it from there anymore, out of no apparent
reason.  So each day in the office now begins with running this
xmodmap by hand out of some xterm; e.g. in order to change
left-alt-option from mode-switch back to Alt_L, and few others.  How
to revert this change?

(3) This is older bug: after logging in X11 starts xterm at
top-left, despite the presence of ${HOME}/.xinitrc which is run too
and sets up the session correctly.  How to disable this xterm-starting?

(4) New bug: Starting remote X11 applications by

    ssh -f remotehost remote-application

now apparently succeeds only with the first remote application,
further applications often result in something like

    Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data
             for X11 forwarding.
    /usr/bin/xauth:  error in locking authority file
/home/eeri/.Xauthority
   Error: cannot open display: localhost:11.0

I think this bug (or some analogous one) was reported already too.

It is not sure if this is a result of upgrading to 2.5.0_rc1 or putting

    ForwardX11Trusted yes

into /etc/ssh_config.  Without this ssh-option apparently
Xquartz+ssh didn't send umlauted ISO-Latin characters (which are
accessed by some "modeswitch"-ed keycombination, like modeswitch+a
resulting in ä) to remote X11 clients.

(5) The "border-issue" shows up movement but unfortunately not yet
in direction of a solution.

(6) Some applications leave clutter on screen analogous to the bug I
reported

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-August/037802.html

but now without xcompmgr running.  So it appears it is probably Xorg
but not a compositing-extension issue...

(7) Something like once per week or few weeks the old server 2.4.?
could be crashed by the ancient xless, if this has changed now
remains to be observed.  :-)

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask