[Xquartz-dev] quartz-wm goes crazy on macbook air

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Apr 7 09:46:30 PDT 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> The "going crazy" is not a bug in quartz-wm.  What version of the OS are you on?
>
> I'm curious how quartz-wm got into that state though.  It's in an error handler, so it didn't like something it got from the server.

So this is a bit confusing.  The x_init_error_handler is only the error handler for a short period of time *before* we enter the CFRunLoop.  Furthermore, it is set via XSetErrorHandler, not XSetIOErrorHandler ... so we should never be calling into x_init_error_handler from XIOError, and we should never be calling into that handler from within the CFRunLoop.

This is a very puzzling backtrace... are you sure there is nothing in /var/log/system.log that would be helpful?  I would expect to see, "quartz-wm: another window manager is running; exiting" because that is printed by x_init_error_handler before the exit...

An XIOError usually means that the server stopped responding.  Did this happen as you were exiting X11?