[Xquartz-dev] Getting bad DISPLAY value during use of 2.6.1-2.6.2 (not with 2.6.0 & before).

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Apr 24 09:44:53 PDT 2011

On Apr 24, 2011, at 09:31, sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think DISPLAY is getting a weird value on my system here.
>
> We've completely rebooted, and this is still occurring on my system
> with any of the 2.6.1-2.6.2 incarnations of Xquartz.
> (IIRC this didn't happen with 2.6.0 and earlier.)
> Presently I have the beta1 of 2.6.2 installed and trying to get it
> started-up here.
> (Yes I did re-run the installer for 2.6.2_beta1 after the 10.6.7/etc
> system updates.)
>
> The user's env-var matches what launchctl returns:
>
> $ launchctl getenv DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-s9kPWX/org.x:0

You should have
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

What is the output of "launchctl list org.macosforge.xquartz.startx"

> <snip/>
>
> (There is no critter named /tmp/.X11-unix (shown via ls -al) presently
> on my system.
> The /tmp dir itself does have root:wheel ownership with "drwxrwxrwt"
> flags.)

It should be created by /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist

What is the output of "sudo launchctl list org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx"

> (BTW I have env-vars for T[E]MP[DIR] all set to the
> /Volumes/RamDisk/tmp path, in case you're wondering about the
> font_cache.lock msg above.)

There are security implications to doing that.  I home /Volumes/RamDisk/tmp is owned by your user account.

> I'm wondering if the _original_ X11 subsystem is somehow inserting its
> "org.x" string into DISPLAY, somehow?  But why won't Xquartz fix it?

By "_original_", I'm assuming you mean Apple-provided... launchd will prefer XQuartz due to its location in /Library.