[Xquartz-dev] On Feb 20, 2011, at 8:06 PM, Dave Ray wrote: I've been using 2.6.0_final (snow leopard) for a few weeks now without problems. Some of my apps use libpng, and there were no problems with the libs in /opt/X11/lib. I was building some new apps today that use png, against the headers in XQuartz. First time trying this with 2.6.0. gcc was throwing png-related errors. I had no png packages installed besides those from Apple and XQuartz. All my paths are all set to /usr/local first, then /opt/X11, then /usr/X11 last. So I'm pretty sure the ones from XQuartz were the ones being used. I compiled libpng1.5.1 and installed into /usr/local. I pruned out all the png files from /opt/X11 (except libs in /opt/X11/lib). All gcc errors went away. I don't think the problem is the libpng version number, since 1.5.1 is working. I think there was something wrong with the include headers or something. Perhaps Re: libpng version in XQuartz 2.6.0 was an early version of 1.5 with bugs. -Dave

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Mon Feb 21 09:22:17 PST 2011

> On Feb 20, 2011, at 20:06, Dave Ray wrote:
>
>> I was building some new apps today that use png, against the headers in XQuartz. First time trying this with 2.6.0. gcc was throwing png-related errors. I had no png packages installed besides those from Apple and XQuartz.
>>
>> All my paths are all set to /usr/local first, then /opt/X11, then /usr/X11 last. So I'm pretty sure the ones from XQuartz were the ones being used.
>>
>> I compiled libpng1.5.1 and installed into /usr/local. I pruned out all the png files from /opt/X11 (except libs in /opt/X11/lib). All gcc errors went away.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is the libpng version number, since 1.5.1 is working. I think there was something wrong with the include headers or something. Perhaps the libpng version in XQuartz 2.6.0 was an early version of 1.5 with bugs.
>
> Nope.  2.6.0 contains 1.4.x and 1.2.x SDK and libs.  2.6.1_beta1 contains 1.2.x, 1.4.x libs and 1.5.x SDK and libs.
>
> That being said, there are no known problems.  Please be a bit more specific about the issues you are seeing.  Also, please try 2.6.1_beta1 since it will probably just work for you.

My misunderstanding on the version numbers.

In any case, I think there may be a problem with the PNG includes in 2.6.0. I will update to the latest beta and check.

I had been compiling apps using the includes in XQuartz before 2.6.0 without a problem,. The upgrade to 2.6.0 caused png-related compiler failures, regardless of version. No other changes on my side, I was compiling the same apps - e16 and e17.