[Xquartz-dev] How to test a wm with gdb on XQuartz

doh123 doh123 at doh123.com
Sat Jan 29 19:44:08 PST 2011

(hopefully this message will go through... having trouble with the list)

That is actually very easy to do.

just set a $DISPLAY, then run X11.bin directly for that $DISPLAY.. then you can launch any wm you want on that same $DISPLAY...

like...
cd into Xquartz/Contents/MacOS
do a... export DISPLAY=:55
then do a ./X11.bin :55

at that point it will start up just the X server with no window manager or anything else... if you open an xterm it will have no window decoration or anything.  Just use an export DISPLAY=:55 in another terminal then launch the window manager executable and see if it runs.