[Xquartz-dev] Building bundle'able Xquartz

Tony Bernardin tbernardin at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 23 15:47:54 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm making mac os x application bundle for one of my applications and would
like to embed the XQuartz release into it. The reason herefore is that the
default X11 on 10.6.x has a flaw that Apple has not been fixing and I would
like to follow the typical bundle way where you simply need to drag the
bundle onto your Applications folder to run it. My first question is, is can
this be reasonably realized? So far I've thought of two approaches:

1. Get the XQuartz release, install it, then copy the /opt/X11 content to my
My.app/Contents/Libraries/X11 and fix it up. I can modify all the
install_names and even edit all the /opt/X11 paths that appear in scripts
(e.g., startx), but I don't know what is all just hardcoded into some of the
other executables.

2. Get the source and build a relocatable XQuartz to embed in the app
bundle. I've been trying to follow the instructions here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/1.4-apple-git-10.5.5 but when I run
autogen.sh for the xorg-macros it complains that I can't use a relative path
as --prefix=../Libraries/X11. I'm not sure how the prefix gets used
internally, i.e., does it contribute to producing paths that get injected
into some of the code at compile time or not.

I would greatly welcome any advice on creating an embedable X11 release,
such that I could run startx from my app bundle's start-up script and have
it use only resources that are contained in the app bundle.

Thanks,

--
Tony Bernardin,
Postdoctoral Researcher,