[Xquartz-dev] How to suppress .xinitrc warning dialog?

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Sun Jun 26 17:21:21 PDT 2011

On Sun Jun 26 15:41:09 PDT 2011, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> Don't do that!  Use ~/.xinitrc.d scripts
>>
>> Ok, fine, I can do that...
>
>> Just so I can improve my understanding, if I take the ~/.xinitrc and just rename it and put it in ~/.xinitrc.d, what's the difference? Why is that better?
>
> Search the archives for plenty of discussion on this.  Having ~/.xinitrc means you override *everything* in the global xinitrc rather than just starting a different WM.

Okay, I understand why ~/.xinitrc.d is better.

I just tried this. It appears that when using ~/.xinitrc.d/, XQuartz starts up whatever window manager is set my USERWM (or quartz-wm if not set) BEFORE running anythig in that directory.

So the idea of having the wm command executed from a file in ~/.xinitrc.d/ does not work; it must be set in USERWM.

So if I am trying to set the wm from an installer, the installer has to modify ~/.profile to set USERWM, or something like that.

I understand the advantage of not nuking the user prefs in ~/.xinitrc.d/, but the method setting of the ENV from an installer becomes a lot less clean than by setting it in .xinitrc. Hmm.

>> If I am trying to create an installer that automates the setup for a different window manager, there's no way for the installer to know which previous startup script has to be disabled in ~/.xinitrc.d.
>
> Please explain what you mean by installer.  What are you trying to do?  If you want to install another WM from a .pkg, just install it.  Let the user choose their WM themselves.

A .pkg installer that installs a window manager (without Fink or Macports) and preconfigures everything so that it will run when XQuartz lanched.

> An installer should not do that.  I would just install the WM and let the user do what they want.  If they want your new WM, they can set USERWM themselves.  If you want to set USERWM for them, then give that as an optional choice in the installer.

It will definitely be an optional choice in the installer. I want to give the user the option of having the installer preconfigure it for them, if desired, and trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Dave