[Xquartz-dev] How to suppress .xinitrc warning dialog?

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Mon Jun 27 20:28:10 PDT 2011

The problem is solved.

I learned there is a requirement that filenames of scripts in ~/.xinitrc.d must end in ".sh".

I had put Bourne shell scripts there, but did not give them .sh suffixes.

As soon as I renamed the scripts, they worked.

That wasn't intuitive for me, as I spend a lot of time on Linux systems which don't require the .sh suffix on rc scripts. My bad.

I figured it out by looking in here:

/opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/98-user.sh:

if [ -d "${HOME}/.xinitrc.d" ] ; then
        for f in "${HOME}"/.xinitrc.d/*.sh ; do
        done
        unset f