[Xquartz-dev] libpng headers work again in XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Mar 6 10:59:59 PST 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 10:45, Dave Ray wrote:

> I posted recently about XQuartz causing compile errors related to libpng. The problem was likely not due to a problem in XQuartz

It wasn't.  Your application either doesn't work with the 1.4 SDK or was incorrectly including the SDK.

> , but the installation triggered  a mismatch in libpng versions.

In 2.6.0, we had the SDKs for both 1.2 and 1.4.  In 2.6.1, we have the SDK for just 1.5.

> I didn't have any user-installed libpng files when the errors occurred, and the cause was a mystery. My only solution was to install my own libpng into /usr/local and prune out the ones in /opt/X11. This is what I have been doing for the last few revs. Each time I installed XQuartz the problem came back until I pruned them out.

You have failed to show in any way what the actual problem was, and you never answered any of my questions in my attempts to help you... both in October of 2010 and again last month.

> I want to report that  XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1 does not have this problem.

Yes.  Please read my first response to you on October 21st and again on February 20th.

> I installed it and repeated my test of compiling an X11 app that requires libpng. I expected errors, and expected to prune out /opt/X11 again. But this time the apps compiled without error.
>
> Did something change in  XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1 with regards to libpng? .pc files?

Please read and respond to my earlier emails to you.  They also contain pointers to help you figure out why your application is not building correctly (just because it's building now doesn't mean it's fixed, it will still fail to build on systems with both libpng-1.2 and libpng-1.4).  If you take the time to actually provide adequate information, I will certainly help you fix your broken build system.