[Xquartz-dev] libpng headers work again in XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Mar 8 14:33:09 PST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 12:28, Dave Ray wrote:

> On XQuartz versions after 2.6.0 and before 2.6.1_rc1, the app that previously compiled was failing with png errors,

Really?  What about 2.6.1_beta1?  It should work with 2.6.1_beta1 because its png is exactly the same as 2.6.1_rc1.

> In the 2.6.1_rc1 release, the app compiled fine against the libpng in /opt/X11 and I can permanently get rid of the libpng files in /usr/local. The problem went away for reasons I'm not clear about and I no longer need to pursue the issue.

If you don't fix it.  It will come back, and it will be broken for others.  If you don't care, that's fine.

> My intention was to understand the cause of the make errors so that I could feed that back to the app developers. I'm usually pretty good at identifying config issues and had checked out my system several times over without anything conclusive.

My guess is that they are doing some '#include <png.h>' without the CPPFLAGS given to them by pkg-config, so they're getting /opt/X11/include/png.h rather than /opt/X11/include/libpng14/png.h ... but I can't really tell for certain because you've never provided any logs showing the problem.

Yes.  See: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/browser/trunk/pkg/scripts/postinst_sl.sh