[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Mar 21 09:16:29 PDT 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 02:54, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.03.2011 um 05:44 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
>>> XQuartz 2.3.1 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple17), Build Date: 20080905, from X11-2.3.1.pkg: unreadable Emacsen frames/windows. Uses files from ~/.xinitrc.d; has a lot of problems (dyld: Symbol not found _xp_set_), because I did not sudo cp /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib-2.6.1 /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib. No X server, including X11_Legacy.app, will launch:
>>
>> Right, so install 2.6.1 and back it up like I suggested, then please try again to help find the problem...
>
> I saved /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib and /usr/bin/quartz-wm as you recommended here:
>
>>> 1) Install X11-2.6.1
>>> 2) Save quartz-wm and libXplugin:
>>>  sudo cp /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib-2.6.1
>>>  sudo cp /usr/bin/quartz-wm /usr/bin/quartz-wm-2.6.1
>>> 3) Remove it manually:
>>>  rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /System/Library/Launch*/org.x.*
>>> 4) Install 11_Legacy-1.1.4.1
>

>> Alternatively, use Apple SU provided X11.app which is 1.4.x ... install X11user.pkg from your install DVD, then run the combo update.
>

> Could you be a bit more specific? What is "Apple SU"? Which install DVD do you think of? (I have only the one with Mac OS X 10.5.4 and won't buy another version.) And which "combo update" do you think of? That to Mac OS X 10.5.8, my recent version of Mac OS X?
>
> Before I reinstall the X11 related packages from the install DVD: Should I remove the /usr/X11 and /usr/X11R6\ 1 branches first?

If you want to install the latest X11 from Apple's SU (Software Update), then yes, you'd need to erase X11 from your system, install it from the install DVD (yes, the 10.5.4 one you mentioned).  After that, you'd need to install the Combo Update for 10.5.8 (see the FAQ).  *ONLY* do this to get the latest Apple-provided X11.

My previous email suggested stepping through the versions from XQuartz rather than Apple, but since your install DVD is for 10.5.4, you won't be able to try the earlier 2.1.x releases which were essentially partial updates to the 10.5.0 server and not full releases.

Therefore, you have three roads to go down (deactivate MP's X11 server to avoid conflict for all paths):

1) XQuartz X11.app:
Install XQuartz 2.2.0, then step through each XQuartz release to find the problem.  This should help me isolate atleast which major version caused the change, and I can probably have you drop in some intermediate server versions to figure out a smaller step.  Based on your earlier comments, I suspect that 2.2.3 will work and 2.3.0 will be the first version that has your emacs issue.

2) Apple's Leopard X11.app
Install X11User.pkg from your install DVD.  Then install the 10.5.8 Combo update.  Since you have 10.5.4, my guess is that this is where you got your working 1.3.0-apple5 version from.

3) Tiger's X11.app:
Install X11_Legacy.pkg and just be happy with Tiger's X11.  This will give you what you had on Tiger, but it won't help me fix the problem.

> What can I do to make the actual X server from the X11 package launch instead of that from MacPorts?

Didn't you modify your system *TO* launch the MP X11 instead?  Just undo what you did.  By default, MP does not install the startx LaunchAgent on systems older that OS X 10.6.3.  Did you hack the xinit Portfile?  If so, undo your change and reinstall xinit.  Did you create the LaunchAgent by hand?  If so, just remove it (probably /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist).  After doing this, make sure you logout.