[Xquartz-dev] env variables and launchd problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Mar 22 15:54:27 PDT 2011

Am 22.03.2011 um 00:45 schrieb Dave Ray:

> I can fix the problem by adding the appropriate variables to
> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. But then I have two files to maintain, /
> etc/bashrc and ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. I would prefer not to
> have to do that, unless that is the expected way.

One possible solution to this is make bashrc the "client" of ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist. You can use constructs like for example this:

		export PATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH)

For whatever variable you need. When $HOME is set, then the
environment of the logging in user will be set.

IMO this should not be necessary, because up to Leopard ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist is read when you log in. Then all processes inherit
this environment. The X clients are a bit different and used to
inherit their environment from X11.app – until recently!

The defaults command can be used anywhere else.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count,
and those who cannot.