[Xquartz-dev] tcsh and XQuartz

Michael Goldweber mikeyg at cs.xu.edu
Fri Aug 10 07:26:05 PDT 2012

Issue: XQuartz only launches bash and not tcsh.

Environment:
Brand spanking new retina-15" laptop running a fresh install of Mountain Lion.
XQuartz 2.7.2
desired shell: tcsh

What I've experienced:  When running Terminal, tcsh is correctly launched.  XQuartz launches (i.e. XTerm) bash.

So, evidently the login shell that launches X11 is not being run - the script that looks at what ${SHELL} is set to.

I have also created a file
	~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

the contents of this file is:
---
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SHELL</key>
<string>/bin/tcsh</string>
</dict>
</plist>
---

So, evidently, this is not being read either.

Finally, when I manually launch X11 (XQuartz.app/Contents/MacOS/X11), things work correctly - xterm comes up with tcsh as my shell.

Any suggestions?

mike goldweber