[Xquartz-dev] Where are all the *.la files please? I am at a huge brick wall. :(

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Sun Jun 17 10:50:20 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm having severe trouble trying to (re)build my X11 apps.  I'm still using 10.6.8 and do my own builds by hand in 32-bit mode.

The *.la files are totally gone in the XQuartx-2.7.2.pkg -- and something wiped 'em out in my local trees (the 'proper' X11/lib subdir on my local disk drive).

I peeked into the 2.7.2 pkg with Pacifist directly -- the only files in its /opt/X11/lib subdir are those named *.dylib -- nothing else is in there!  (please see attached PNG snapshot)

I swear they were there months earlier -- I'm sure I'd compiled things with no problem back then!

The only way I know to regenerate the *.la files is to build all the X11 pieces by hand -- old and new pieces -- one by one -- pieces that are provided by XQuartz!

As an example, I'm trying to rebuild gtkspell-2.0.16 which needs other projects all thru the GTK+2 group -- something in its long prereq tree needs the libXinerama.la file to resolve the older pieces.  We have the ~.dylib but no ~.la, see.

The libXi.la file is also needed for my builds.
… and on and on and on …
There are tons more missing *.la files like that.

There's no way I can rebuild absolutely everything to eliminate all ~.la files for all projects I am using.

Please re-instate them!

Sorry for the emotionalism here but I feel I have been physically slammed into a massive brick wall.

I didn't make the libtool facility but we must live by it.

Thank you.