[Xquartz-dev] Where are all the *.la files please? I am at a huge brick wall. :(

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Tue Jun 19 11:10:00 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Jun 17, 2012, at 16:58, Martin Costabel wrote:

> On 17/06/12 19:50, SciFi wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having severe trouble trying to (re)build my X11 apps.  I'm still using 10.6.8 and do my own builds by hand in 32-bit mode.
>>
>> The *.la files are totally gone in the XQuartx-2.7.2.pkg -- and something wiped 'em out in my local trees (the 'proper' X11/lib subdir on my local disk drive).
>>
>> I peeked into the 2.7.2 pkg with Pacifist directly -- the only files in its /opt/X11/lib subdir are those named *.dylib -- nothing else is in there!  (please see attached PNG snapshot)
>>
>> I swear they were there months earlier -- I'm sure I'd compiled things with no problem back then!
>
> You are about 4 years late to this battle. The *.la files were removed from Xquartz in version 2.3.0-rc5 or something, in 2008. They never existed on MacOSX 10.6. At the time there was some fight about the best way to handle this. I had even a script that automatically reconstituted suitable *.la files from the dylibs in /usr/X11. Finally everyone got used to their absence, and for example Fink found that you can avoid all problems if you purge your own *.la files by emptying the dependency_libs list.
>
>> There's no way I can rebuild absolutely everything to eliminate all ~.la files for all projects I am using.
>
> Run something like
> perl -pi -e "s/^(dependency_libs)=.*/\1='"''"'/"
> on them.

Thank you very much to take time explaining and offering a good 'edit' line to show exactly what should be done.
I did do some net-searches and reading on the topic, which showed me that emptying-out the dependency_libs seems to be a common ploy across platforms.
After backing-up the files being affected (just in case, y'know), it seems to do the job to let me continue building things here.
Thanks again.

:)