[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.2_beta1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Mar 5 15:31:03 PST 2012

Hi all,

2.7.1 was released 2 weeks ago, and I know you guys are itching to try something new.  I've packaged up the first beta of XQuartz-2.7.2 for testing.  The server version has jumped to 1.12.0 which was just released this weekend.  The XQuartz-specific bits are actually the same, so I don't expect too many issues to crop up in the server itself. We've also pulled in a bunch of version updates for various bug fixes from X.org, and I'll continue to roll those in to future betas as they're released in lead-up to X11R7.7 over the next few weeks.

Xfake, Xvfb, and Xnest are now building from xorg-server-1.12.0, but Xephyr is still building from the older 1.6.5 code as in previous releases due to keymapping issues I have not yet addressed.

One new feature in this release is the inclusion of libXaw3d which is now being maintained by X.org.

Another new feature in this release is the inclusion of the Xorg DDX (/opt/X11/bin/Xorg).  This is provided for advanced users or development purposes only.  There are various usability issues that need to be addressed before it is really ready for prime time (including logging directories, configurations (xorg.conf), and others), but it should serve as a good starting poing for anyone wanting to try out using Xorg with the dummy or nested drivers instead of Xfake, Xvfb, Xephyr, and Xnest.  The dummy video drivers are also provided in this release, and the nested video driver is available in git (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-nested/) and will probably be in the next beta.  This should also be useful for anyone wanting to build newer versions of Xvnc which are built on top of the Xorg DDX.

Current changes are listed on the release notes draft:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.2

And the package can be downloaded here:
http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/SL/XQuartz-2.7.2_beta1.dmg

Thanks,