[Xquartz-dev] launchd problem affecting DISPLAY setting

John Hanks john.hanks at usu.edu
Mon Nov 12 11:04:16 PST 2012

Thanks, this is extremely helpful. First, my overrides.plist. I am indeed
uid 501, and:

wlan-clients-1816:com.apple.launchd.peruser.501 griznog$ pwd
/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd.peruser.501
wlan-clients-1816:com.apple.launchd.peruser.501 griznog$ ls -al
total 4
drwx------  3 griznog wheel  102 Nov 12 11:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root    wheel  510 Oct  5 19:09 ..
-rw-------  1 griznog wheel 2200 Nov 12 10:59 overrides.plist

The XQuartz sections there appear ok to me:

<key>org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx</key>
 <dict>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
 </dict>
<key>org.macosforge.xquartz.startx</key>
<dict>
 <key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
</dict>

I enabled debugging and lo and behold:

11/12/12 11:44:59.427 AM launchctl[313]: launchctl: Dubious permissions on
file (skipping): /Library/LaunchAgents

Turns out the entire /Library was owned by my user account. I have to
assume this was self-inflicted, although nowhere in the history for root or
me can I find a chown that would have done this. In addition, while file
permissions on files were correct, the /Library/LaunchAgents directory had
managed to become group writeable.

Thanks for your help. This also fixed a google drive problem and citrix
receiver problem which I hadn't noticed until they started working
correctly once this was addressed.

Thanks,

griznog