[Xquartz-dev] I am having problems with 2.7.5_rc3 and _rc4 (rc2 & before were ok)

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon Nov 4 08:56:02 PST 2013

Hi,

On 2013/11/04 10:13, Martin Otte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a similar issue which I think is with the latest version of fontconfig in the two latest rc's.
>
> It seems that everytime I restart xquartz, fontconfig is always rebuilding the font caches even though they don't need to be rebuilt. Apps that require fontconfig will need to wait until the font caches are rebuilt. This didn't happen with previous versions of the fontconfig library. If you manually run fc-cache with the latest release, you will see that fontconfig will keep rebuilding some of the font caches even though they don't need rebuilding.

Hmm...

I watched Activity Monitor while this was going on.

During the install of XQuartz, or start it up, I can see the various font* tools being run.

But when I start up e.g. Pan, with XQuartz running & waiting, all I see is the pan task soaking up the CPU as if the "relink" was going on.  I did not see any font* task here.  :?

At any rate, I think these phenomena need to be 'fixed' before 2.7.5 goes final.  It is definitely a big-enough change to warrant the wait.

Being curious myself, I'll try to see what's going on with the fontconfig project.

> Thanks,
> Martin

Thank you too.