[Xquartz-dev] I am having problems with 2.7.5_rc3 and _rc4 (rc2 & before were ok)

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 11 11:00:28 PST 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 9:51, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 11.11.2013 um 18:19 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:
>
>> I'm not really sure what's "cryptic" about that.
>
> Hard to remember? Not meaning anything useful?

It is just a path to a unix domain socket.  You don't need to remember it.  It's set by launchd to a randomized, secure location.

>> It's a path to a socket which is certainly less cryptic than :0.0
>
> Well, you can't encrypt much in these four characters! So it's likely that it means for it stands.

Yes, it means use the /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 socket and screen 0.

> After a restart of XQuartz 2.7.5_rc4 (xorg-server 1.14.4) DISPLAY is now set to :0. This looks much better! This can be handled manually, without mouse!

I don't quite understand what you mean.

a) :0 is the same as :0.0
b) That shouldn't be the DISPLAY set by launchd.  It might be the DISPLAY chosen by xinit, but you should not be setting DISPLAY manually anywhere.