[Xquartz-dev] xmodmap during in .xinitrc does not stick

Marcus Crestani crestani at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Jan 24 00:31:38 PST 2014

Jeremy,

thanks a lot for your quick reply!

JHS> Don't use ~/.xinitrc ... place scripts in ~/.xinitrc.d

I did and this simplifies things a lot, thanks.  Reworking my
configuration led to another problem.  The environment when the scripts
in ~/.xinitrc.d run is not set according to my .cshrc (my login shell is
/bin/tcsh).  The launched WM has my environment, however.  A `printenv'
in a script below ~/.xinitrc.d shows an environment without my settings:

  SHELL=/bin/tcsh
  TMPDIR=/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000nqr0005dy/T/
  Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-JaMsGM/Render
  USER=crestani
  SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-PNlOy8/Listeners
  PATH=/opt/X11/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
  PWD=/
  HOME=/home/crestani
  SHLVL=2
  LOGNAME=crestani
  __LAUNCHD_FD=36
  DISPLAY=:43
  X11_PREFS_DOMAIN=org.macosforge.xquartz.X11
  XAUTHORITY=/home/crestani/.Xauthority
  _=/usr/bin/printenv

Is there a way to have the .xinitrc scripts inherit my tcsh environment
settings?

JHS> Use ~/.Xmodmap (notice the case), and it will be managed for you

Thanks, that helped.

--
Marcus