[Xquartz-dev] Problems with xorg-server-devel @1.17.0_0 and xorg-server-devel @1.17.1_0 on PPC Mac OS X 10.5.8, Leopard

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Feb 18 16:19:34 PST 2015

> On Feb 17, 2015, at 15:00, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:
>

> Am 16.02.2015 um 21:16 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia:
>
>>> Are you suggesting, using MacPorts and doing:
>>>
>>> sudo port install xorg-server-devel @1.16.99.1_3
>>
>> Peter, you'll need to use 'svn update -r' to choose the revision to test.  For example:
>>
>> ~/src/macports/dports/x11/xorg-server-devel $ svn update -r 132696
>> Updating '.':
>> U    files/5002-Use-old-miTrapezoids-and-miTriangles-routines.patch
>> U    files/5003-fb-Revert-fb-changes-that-broke-XQuartz.patch
>> U    files/5004-fb-Revert-fb-changes-that-broke-XQuartz.patch
>> U    files/5000-sdksyms.sh-Use-CPPFLAGS-not-CFLAGS.patch
>> U    files/5001-Workaround-the-GC-clipping-problem-in-miPaintWindow-.patch
>> U    Portfile
>> Updated to revision 132696.
>

> I actually do not understand what this command performs (looks like it does nothing)

It updates your svn checkout to the specified svn revision.  In this case, r132696, which would provide 1.16.99.901_0.

> and how it can lead to building xorg-server-devel @1.16.99.1_3… And in my home directory I don't have a subdirectory src/macports/dports/x11/xorg-server-devel.

Yes, I don't know where you have your dports checkout.  That is where I have mine.  You would need to do that wherever you have your svn checkout of dports.

> I don't want to build some X server that installs somewhere on my PowerBook G4 and can't be uninstalled. So I decided to fetch from http://trac.macports.org/changeset/132694 the corresponding Portfile, "install" it in   /opt/local/var/macports/sources/nue.de.rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/x11/xorg-server-devel, and see whether port can handle this. It can't, out of a good reason: there does not seem to exist an archive for the xorg-server(-devel) 1.16.99.1 sources. How can I get these?

There is an archive for the sources, but we don't use that.  We use git for the xorg-server-devel port.  Assuming you put the correct Portfile in place, you would also need to put the correct patches in place.  However, it looks like you're using tarballs for dports.  I suggest that you use subversion instead.  See https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.subversion

For example, do this:
mkdir ~/src
cd ~/src
svn co https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports
cd dports
portindex

Then edit /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf to contain something like this instead of the existing line:
file:///Users/pete/src/dports [default]

Then to update xorg-server-devel to r132696, just do:
cd ~/src/dports/x11/xorg-server-devel
svn update -r 132696

--Jeremy