[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.7.8_beta3 problems

Jack Howarth howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:43:10 PDT 2015

    The XQuartz 2.7.8_beta3 has been very cantankerous  with regard to
autolaunching when executing X windows binaries in the Terminal
application. Is an improved beta4 seed expected soon? I have found
that the autolaunching doesn't occur after logging out or even
rebooting. Manually launching the X11 app doesn't help as well. Most
frustrating is that the beta3 release will start to autolaunch without
any obvious reason but will also stop autolaunching again after system
software updates to the public 10.0.3 seed.
            Jack
ps I am also very confused by the comments at...

Default X11 Server

If this is your first time installing XQuartz, you may wish to logout
and log back in. This will update your DISPLAY environment variable to
point to XQuartz.app rather than X11.app. If you would prefer to keep
using X11.app as your default server (you can still launch XQuartz.app
manually), you'll want to disable
/Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist using
launchctl(1).

at http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.8. In particular, on
Yosemite, I find that the Finder shows X11 in /Applications/Utilities
but the terminal window shows Xquartz.app and no X11.app. I have never
heard of that behavior where there is a complete rupture between the
Application name displayed by the Finder window and that shown in the
terminal window with 'ls'.